Saturday, June 28, 2008

Hank's spam dogs

Well last night was another hot airconless night and i'm pretty sure i woke up dripping in sweat. Not cool by any standard. We got home from the track shortly after 11:00pm and it wasn’t until 12:00am that I crawled into bed. Was pretty tired when we got up at around 7:00 (weren’t meeting the boys until 9:00 but still couldn’t manage to sleep in!...) then went on a flatish recovery cruise down to the velodrome and back. Have to say that my legs are feeling pretty ordinary, my hamstrings are killing me and I’ve been asleep for over 2hrs this arv. So apart from eating, riding and sleeping, haven’t really done too much. Tonight is the World Series of Bicycling, should be good racing!

The World Series of Bicycling is an international event so we had pro riders from all over the US and some internationals (the boys were up against world omnium champ Hayden Godfrey and US Olympic team member for Beijing Bobby Lea for example…). The girls field also had some classy riders such as Gina Grain, Laura Macaughey and some other internationals from Argentina.
A good surprise was to see that Jessie Maclean and Gary and Theresea were there! It was great to see them. Gary rode the 1k scratch and I rode against Jessie in the women’s events but Theresea had a broken wrist so she wasn’t racing. Apparently she’ll be back next week though. So that was a pleasant surprise! It was great to see some familiar faces.
Back to the racing, first race for the girls was an elimination. Have to admit that I didn’t ride it very well because my head wasn’t in it. I was so nervous about riding against girls of this class that I forgot to think of positioning myself correctly and so got boxed down the back. Second race I managed to get my head back into gear and ran 3rd in the 3km scratch. 3rd race was Mickey’s race, a 1km scratch. She went straight to the front and led it out the whole way and no one could come around her. She is a machine that girl, and only 15 years old. 4th race was an 8km points race. Managed to get 3rd in the first sprint and pick up a few other points to finish 5th overall maybe? Anyway, it was enough secure my place in the top 12 for the final event – the 10 lap shoot out. We had no clue how this event worked and before we knew it the commisaire had said 3 laps. And we were like 3 laps until what? Turns out it was a 10 lap race with sprint like every 3rd lap for different prize money amounts. Really confusing. By this stage I was buggered and just wanted to finish the race with the girls. Did that and eve chased down a few breaks. Overall I finished 9th in the omnium and picked up $40. Mickey finished 4th overall and picked up total of $210 for the night.

Didn’t get home until after 11:00pm so another late night for me.

Hope everyone is going well,
Take care
xo

p.s the title was the name of a recipe i found in a magazine.. made me laugh. it is like a hotdog but made with spam.. guess written by someone called hank...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miff
Great photos at cyclingnews. Good result in the scratch!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/track.php?id=track/2008/jun08/usopenomnium08

Dad