Friday, January 1, 2010

So i know, its been a while since i’ve updated my blog but as part of my New Year’s resolution i’ve decided to dust of the virtual cobwebs and start to re tell my story, and what perfect time to start with Nationals due to commence next week!!!

But first i think it’s only fair that i take a short trip down memory lane in attempt to justify my lack of blogging and explain what may have happened for people to start to raise eyebrows at my fitness and ask ‘what happened to you? You’re slow.’

So i left this blog rather rudely half way through a very successful tour for the Aussie National team, i’m not going to even pretend that I remember the finer details of the stages however Tiff Cromwell went on to a well deserved stage win after being in a break for the last part of the race and Ruth managed to come away with a very respectable 2nd on GC  For those who are at all interested in finding the rest of the results for the tour and reading probably a more detailed race report than my own, there was quite good commentary streaming via the web on http://radiomeilleursjours.musicblog.fr/r44705/Tour-Cycliste-Feminin-Limousin/

Limousin was my last race in Europe with the Aussie team so after another epic car trip home, i was left with just under a week to tick a few more things off the ‘to do’ list before heading home to Aus. I took a few last rides through the hills, ventured to beautiful lake Como and ate my weight in gelato before saying goodbye to the team and commencing my journey home (after a quick detour past London to visit Dad who had moved there just after the Giro).

My time with the Aussie team could only probably be described with one word: unbelievable. I’m wouldn’t be lying if i said that whilst i was over there, i was living the dream. The only responsibilities i had were to ride my bike and look after myself to ensure i was able to do my best come race day. Boy now i think of it, i have definitely forgotten how relaxing it was not to have to think about money, work, house, pets etc...oh well guess that’s just reality! Of course this wouldn’t have been possible without a fantastic support team. I’d like to thank Beth Duryea, Dave McPartland and Laura Garvican for all of their invaluable help and advice which enabled me, i believe, to come away from the trip as a better, wiser and more rounded athlete.




When i got home, my instructions were simple ‘do not get back on the bike until your back has fully recovered’. I was having around 3 physio appointments a week, massages and doctor’s appointments to try and get myself sorted but it seemed as though one problem was ‘fixed’ another one was waiting around the corner to show its ugly head. If it wasn’t my back, it was my neck or a random 8mm tear in my hamstring tendon??????? I was taking advantage of my forced break off the bike to get a job and try and earn some much needed dollars! I ended up scoring a job at the Uni pub/nightclub in Canberra which probably could have been what helped get me through the recovery. The team of people i work with are amazing and i love working in the nightclub!! I know, not ideal for recovery as i would start at 7/9pm on Sat night and if i do close then wouldn’t leave until about 4am on Sunday morning but you got to live a little!!! I have to admit it has been a bit of a juggling act trying to find the balance between working (so i can earn money = buy food = live) and training and sure i’ll admit it, i failed on numerous occasions leading to more time off the bike due to illness/overworking and ultimately putting me well behind the 8 ball in terms of training which i found out rather harshly on the AIS camp which was being run in Canberra. I was getting smashed everyday by these girls, and it wasn’t fun.

These may have probably been some of the most emotionally challenging months i’ve experienced in my sport to date but i’m now confident that my injuries are well behind me and i can continue to move forward. I've got a fantastic network of support looking after me at ACTAS and feel as though i am on my way to achieving my goals and ambitions in the sport.

Things have also changed rather drastically at home as well. My sister finally moved back home and it's been great having her around, i didn't realise quite how much i missed her!!! She is my best friend and only wish the best for her in this New Year! My Dad moved over to London for work during my stint with the Aussie team and in early December Mum moved over to join him. I'm so happy for them both, I know it has been hard for them spending so much time away from each other but i'm glad they are able to finally get on with life with each other again. So it's just Bron and I at home for the next 18months or so... which has definitely proved interesting...Let's just say its a bit of a learning curve ;)


Bron and I :D


So that's whats been happening with me over the past few months or so. Next week I leave for Nationals where I will compete in the TT (yeah, i'm shocked myself) and the Road Race. I am happy with my current form considering where i've come from and i hope that it will be enough to get me the results i am after!!!!

Until then, hope you have a wonderful start to the New Year

Cheers,

Miffy

No comments: