Friday, September 10, 2010

Holland Ladies Tour Day 1:

Yesterday was the inaugural stage of the 2010 Profile Ladies Tour. On the schedule today was 112km of flat, windy, narrow and cobbled roads...But at least it was sunny :) a much welcome change after what was the gale force winds – torrential downpour – ‘i’d rather sit in bed and never leave’ kind of weather...

Profil day 1... no joke


Close to 30 teams lined up on the start line for this year’s event ; from teams such as HTC-Columbia and Cervelo to the local club teams such as mine (SwABo Ladies) and the Rabo Lady Force team. Although it was great to see so many women lined up on the start, I knew I had my work cut out for me to try stay in the top part of the bunch to avoid getting spat and making it a hard day in the office...

Things were looking good for the first 15km, was up there in the bunch although a bit nervous as it was my first real race back since I broke my ribs in July. My legs were feeling pretty ordinary as I realised that the last 2 weeks spent riding the hills in Italy – although good for my head longer term strength – was probably not the ideal preparation for the hard, flat, fast and did I mention flat? Race that is HLT. I started losing contact with the bunch after a couple of repeated sprints out of some tight corners where I was greeted with some dirty cross winds. Before I knew it, the bunch had spat me out the back and I was now facing the prospect of riding over 80km solo...Not something I would have like to have to do on the first day of a 6 day tour.

The peloton on a narrow cross wind section


But sadly, that is what I had to do. Stick my head down and try and chase a peloton of 150 riders by myself to make sure I didn’t get time cut. Once I got into a rhythm it was OK, but then we entered a smaller circuit of which ¾ of it was cobbles and by the end of the 1st lap, my whole body was complaining! But I kept plugging along and although it was nearly dark, I finished, and in time cut. Lived to fight another day – check. Then it was back to the hotel where we were forced to gorge ourselves on pasta and carry our full bellies up to bed.

Stage 1 was won by Ina Teutenberg of HTC-Columbia



On the plus side, our accommodation was very nice :) equipped with luxuries such as towels, washing machine and buffet breakfast – I was actually feeling a tad bit spoilt! ;)

Now to rest my legs and make sure that I don’t have a repeat of today’s performance tomorrow!!!!

Wish me luck
xx


*photos from womenscycling.net*

No comments: