Tuesday, July 13, 2010

‘It’s not wether you get knocked down, but whether you get back up’

Since the TDF prologue, I have done a couple of races although without much success. Unless you call getting dropped within 10min of a 60km criterium or not even making it to the back of the peloton before getting pulled from the race being successful – then in that case, you could say that I’m undefeated.


That was until Sunday when I competed in 60km criterium up in Obdam. After another disappointing ride on Friday, I was determined to finish this race at all costs. I was on the front at the start line (one of the lucky days when we weren’t asked to line up according to our race numbers, where i was always called up last...) And stayed there for the 1st half of the race where I was following a few moves and trying to get good position. The aim of my race was to finish. After my first races here in Europe, I wanted to prove to myself that I could actually still FINISH a race... pretty handy thing to do if you want to be a world class cyclist. I started struggling during the second half of the race and got dagged off the back once but clawed my way back on where I was physically sick in my mouth (yes, i know.. gross.) but the point was that I made it back on. I stayed tucked in the group for the rest of the race, going with one more move then deciding not to get ahead of myself and stick with my plan. I finished with the group at the end of the sprint = successful day in the office. With an average HR of 203bpm and max HR of 213bpm for the whole race, it was also a hard day in the office, for me anyway– OUCH.


I know the result on paper doesn’t seem like anything worth sticking on the fridge but looking back of the past few weeks I have to admit I may have nearly had my own Cavendish moment, like he did after he won his first Tour stage this year. It may seem odd to get so worked up about finishing a crit, but when you put so much time and effort into something you love because you desperately want to be successful at it, than any positive feedback you get in return feels like you’ve just won the lottery.

Since the TDF prologue I’ve started making a recovery from my ‘flu’ which turns out wasn’t really the flu at all but ‘severe hay fever complications’... which I guess is a good thing? So after a trip to the doctor, I’ve stocked up on medication which has already enabled me to smell and taste food again! Bonus.

I’ve also been watching the World Cup Soccer on TV... Not really one to watch soccer, you can’t help but get into it over here! Everywhere houses are draped in orange flags, posters, streamers... and this was before Holland made it to the final! On match days, people were seen wandering the streets decked out in orange shirts before retreating home to watch the match. You can’t compare the Dutch’s love for football to any kind of sport back home...They had to deter people from coming to Amsterdam to watch the final because they physically couldn’t fit any more people in the city! No other country has made it to the grand final 3 times without winning... and unfortunately the Netherlands broke a new record, although not the one they had hoped. They are now unluckily the only team to have made it to 4 WC finals, and not won once... Maybe 5th time lucky??

My next race is on Wednesday and i’ve been doing everything to make sure my legs will be feeling minty fresh :) All I know is that whatever happens, i’m not going to give up. You don’t get stronger by giving up when the going gets tough...

Also i’d like to take the opportunity to thank Dylan Cooper at Conceptis for designing and hosting my new website! and to my sister Bronwyn Galloway for doing the graphics! Great work guys – much appreciated :)

Now time to work extra hard on my tan - for those in Canberra, this is for you :p


Until next time
xx

No comments: