Sunday, July 4, 2010

TDF prologue wrap up - and 100th post!!!!!

Yesterday, along with thousands of other cycling enthusiasts, I made the pilgrimage to the Mecca of cycling – that is, the Tour de France.

This year, the prologue was held in Rotterdam (50km from where we are in Oosterwijk) and in a mere stroke of good fate the race we were due to compete in was cancelled so it was off to the Tour!

When we arrived we were greeted with less than ideal conditions for the riders. The heatwave from the day before had disappeared and rain and cold temperatures were making it everything but comfortable for the riders. Luckily for us, the rain appeared to deter some of the crowds and we were fortunate enough to be able to get right up close to some of the biggest names in cycling. For the majority of the first wave of riders I was up at the ‘départ’ and saw riders such as Wesley Sulzberger, Stuart O’Grady, Adam Hansen and Bradley Wiggins roll up to start what will no doubt be a very long 21 days to Paris.
As the race went on, we made our way over to the finish and ended up at the finishing shoot where riders were picked up by their soignieurs and pounced on by the media. Just as we arrived, Mark Renshaw was making his way over to the media and I was a bit starstruck. Sofie’s boyfriend Boudewyn noticed this and proceeded to go over to Renshaw and say that an Australian girl would love a photo with him, and like a true pro he agreed and I had my first photo with a TDF rider, arguably the best leadout man in the World – Australian Mark Renshaw :)



I was buzzing with the contagious energy which seems to follow the travelling circus as we made our way around to the warm up area where all the team buses were parked and the riders were warming up. I made my way past the team SKY bus, pretty much the most badass bus out there, equipped with jaguars and enough bikes for a third world country – it looks like they really do get treated like rock stars! And made a b-line straight to the HTC-Columbia bus where I was hoping to get a glimpse of Michael Rogers before his start. I was fortunate enough to see him warming up surrounded by his support team before he disappeared into the bus for final preparations. I got talking to a lady next to me who was another HTC fan from Holland. Turns out she knew the bus driver of one of the HTC-Columbia buses and he gave her some HTC-Columbia caps – to which she proceeded to give me one!!! I was stoked – my first bit of free Tour memorabilia!



Equipped with my new cap, I wandered around the other team buses and got snaps of Contador, Basso and Andy Schleck, perved on the incredible bikes (i managed to spot a tiny looking Radioshack TT bike sitting on the roof racks – i’m pretty sure they’d have a spare they wouldn’t miss... right???) and soaked up the indescribable atmosphere that follows the Tour. Everyone shares one passion, that is for bikes, and when you’re there it is like everything is forgotten and it doesn’t matter where you are from or what you believe in.




When the last few riders rolled off, the crowds had grown and the best view we could get was off the big screen as the riders were going so fast we saw them for a split second before they vanished again. When Cancellara went over the line to clock the fast time by 10sec, it was though the big Swiss rider had lived up to his expectations as the best timetrialist out there and the crowd went wild!

Seeing some of the biggest names of cycling in person made me a bit shell shocked. Sure, one could say that they are simply regular people, but to me what makes these people so incredible is the lengths they go to and pain they endure for their sport. They are definitely another breed of human and their commitment and dedication to their sport is definitely something to be admired!

When the race was over we headed back to Boudewyn’s mum’s place conveniently located 2km from the start of the Prologue to have a dinner of pancakes. Long ride in the sun in the morning, Tour de France in the afternoon and pancakes for dinner – pretty awesome day if I do say so myself!!

Unfortunately I woke up sick again this morning, I think the rain and the cold wasn’t exactly what the doctor had ordered in terms of my recovery, but it was worth it. I’ll have the day off today and try and knock this thing on the head for good! Fingers crossed i’ll be fit and fighting for my next race on the 9th!

Until then, I will be religiously watching the Tour, focusing on my recovery and enjoying living my dream :)

On a side note, i've been informed that this is my 100th blog post. Wow. that's basically like a short novel! It has been 2 years since I started this blog from a little house in Kutztown, Pennsylvania... boy i've come a long way since then!

Take care
xx

No comments: