Friday, August 27, 2010

La Bella Vita :)

Last time I blogged, I had just experienced my first ride in Italy since I was last there in 2009 with the Australian National Team. Needless to say the magnitudes of the climbs were a shock to the system as I hadn’t seen anything bigger than a highway on-ramp for the past few months. I was struggling to turn the pedals and on the first day I averaged a cadence of 60rpm. Including the downhills. OUCH! But I found that despite my ‘suffering’, climbing still hadn’t lost its appeal to me and I found myself eagerly searching for the biggest bergs around to conquer!


I had the pleasure of staying with fellow Canberran and professional cyclist currently riding for the Lotto Ladies Team, Vicki Whitelaw at her lovely apartment in Luino looking over Lago Maggiore. Each day Vicki and I would venture out together where she’d show me a variety of climbs around the area. On one particular day, I said to Vicki that I’d like to do a longer climb and she pointed me in the direction of Alpe di Neggia in Maccagno which is about 25km long. Within 10min I hit the base of the climb and weaved my way up on the switchbacks focussed on reaching the top. Turns out that about 5km up I took a wrong turn but at the top I found myself staring down at Lago Delio, a mountain top lake... Not a bad thing to stumble across. Still determined to find the top of Neggia, I descended back down and took the turn which I was suppose to and plugged my way through the little mountain villages to the top. Once I got to the top I was rewarded again with spectacular views.... A solid, but good day in the office. I definitely slept well that night!


Alpe di Neggia


Other highlights of my trip include watching the Tre Valli Varesine, a UCI 1.HC race in Varese. Vicki managed to get us VIP passes which meant we were able to get right up close and personal to the riders and jump in one of the official cars for part of the race! It was a great way to get another perspective of bike racing, especially Men’s racing as I have never been in a follow vehicle for a Men’s international race before. The hot conditions and repeated hills took its toll on the riders and only a handful of riders finished... At one stage I saw Mark Cavendish roll up to the barricades, jump off his bike, leap over the fence with his bike and roll away...Even the big names have bad days, they’re only human!



On the 19th, Vicki left for her campaign in the Plouay WC in France in preparation for the Trophee D’Or (where I hear she just won the TT –GO VICK!) and generously offered for me to stay on at her house as I had some unfinished business with some bergs to attend to... Although I was on the verge of scratching my eyeballs out after having to listen to myself 24/7, I was saved by the chance to meet up with 2 other riders from Canberra who have been selected to compete for Australia in the U23 World Road Cycling Championships. It was great to see familiar faces, oddly enough on the other side of the world! But it was great to catch up with them, over probably the best coffee in the World, and I’m amazed at how well they are doing and wish them all the best in their prep for Worlds!


View from Coffee, Lago Maggiore


A few mountain passes, scoops of gelati, too many coffees and a fungi pizza later it wasn’t long before my stay in Italy was up and I was on the plane back to Holland where I was greeted with wind, rain and cold temperatures... Welcome home?? The trip to Italy came at exactly the right time for me, my broken ribs and lack of performance was getting me down and the trip got me right back to where I want to be and now I have my eyes firmly set on my goals and there is no way in hell i’m looking back! I feel fit and strong, not sure if that translate into being fast yet, but it is more than I could have hoped for 3 months ago :)


My next race is Middag-Humsterland, a UCI 1.2 in Holland before Holland Ladies Tour, a 6 day/7 stage Tour starting on the 31st which will also be my last with SwABoLadies for the season. I haven’t raced for a couple of weeks and am keen to get stuck back in! Although I love training, especially in Italy :p, I ride my bike to race and that’s when I’m at my happiest :) so BRING IT!!!


I realise that it is hard to describe events that occur with countless ‘you really should have been there’ moments; and no doubt you are familiar with the old saying ‘a picture is worth a thousand words?’ Well I’ve decided to make a sort of video montage of my Italian trip... just for something different :) – so let us know what you think! I’m by FAR no computer genius, but you could put a movie of grass growing to a funky beat and make it exciting... so here goes:



I’m also going to attempt to do a daily video diary of Holland Ladies Tour but lack of internet may mean a delay in posting (one of the pro’s of women’s cycling :p) but stay tuned!

Until next time

Take care

Miffy xx

No comments: