Monday, August 2, 2010

Veteran Cyclists

You know, the ones who talk about how good they use to be, have bikes that rival those of the pros, race for 50th in club races, half wheel you in training rides, spend more time in their knicks than what is deemed socially acceptable...Not to be mistaken for hubbards (see definition by Joe Lewis here)

This weekend I had the privilege of watching my Dad compete in the ICF World Masters Championships in Soumagne, Belgium where men aged 40+ were competing to be the best in their age category in the World. To be honest, upon first hearing the name ‘World Masters Championships’ you’d think that the competition and the racing wouldn’t even come close to rivalling the likes of racing in open grades but after watching this race up close, that statement couldn’t be further from the truth!

Dad and I in London :)


For those ‘fortunate’ enough to have ridden the Australian Open Road Nationals course in Ballarat, this course was similar to that but on a smaller scale. A 9km circuit with a 4km berg on the finishing straight, tough to say the least!

Whilst I was waiting for my Dad’s race to start, the race for the 60years+ was finishing up. The race finished 1km up the hill, a thought that would make ANYONE cringe. On the final lap, two men were on a break out front, followed by a smaller group of about 4-5 riders then a larger peloton. When the last climb came around, the two riders still had a gap and were obviously going to win the bike race. I was surprised to find that watching these men cross the line inspirational and very motivating. Barely able to get out of the saddle and sprint, the winner literally crawled his way over the line where he was assisted by the crowd though sheer exhaustion.



In this race, age was definitely not a limiting factor. This man was probably old enough to be my grandfather and he had pushed his body to the absolute limit, just as any pro would. It was just proof that your love for a sport does not grow old with age and these riders still get the same kicks out of the sport as we do.

Before his race, Dad and I were chatting to a rider who had travelled from London to ride his bike and when we asked if he’d just raced (in the 60+ category) he said that “I’ve been here for a week and raced yesterday, these guys are all too young for me, i’m 70!”

Like many veteran cyclists, in his spare time he is often seen travelling to all the monuments in cycling and just spending quality time on the bike! Dad and I also had a great time exploring parts of the Liege-Bastogne-Liege course and the infamous Mur de Huy upon which the Fleche Wallone finishes.


the Mur de Huy: 1.3km long; 9.8% gradient; 17% max gradient.... all in the seat cause I can't get out of the saddle :s OUCH.


I often tell myself that when i’m older, I’ll realise when it’s time to hang up the bike but something tells me it isn’t going to be that easy. It is hard to give up something that has been such a big part of your life. Cycling has provided me with arguably some of the best moments and experiences i’ve had in life to date. When most people are thinking of retirement, I’m pretty sure I will still be trying to figure out how I can win the sprint on the morning bunch ride, after all as my Dad keeps telling me “You may have ridden for Australia, but you’re not a TRUE cyclist until you’ve won every Canberra morning bunch sprint!” Luckily for me, that is a long way off yet :)

In the meantime, next time i’m riding near a vet and he starts picking up my high heart rates, instead of worrying that he is probably going to think he is about to have a heart attack, I secretly know that he is getting that sick satisfaction you get when you push your body to the limit, is enjoying every minute of it and start to ramp up the pace ;)

I’m back in Holland now and have a busy racing schedule this week before I head off to Italy where my inner Vet will come out and I will try and venture to some of the climbing monuments on the Italian/Swiss border :P

Until next time

Take care xx

No comments: