Monday, December 8, 2008

ACTAS Road Camp: Day 5

Its been a long time coming, probably because I didn't want to have to remember the amount of pain I felt on this ride lol... but here's the write up from our last day on ACTAS camp!

Well it was another early departure for us, the boys left just before 8am and we were in the cars shortly after. Today the girls and a few others were riding from the now familiar Robertson Pie shop back to Goulburn whilst the boys tackled Macquarie Pass again and met up with us at the Pie shop. I don’t know about everyone else, but personally I was counting on this ride to being similar to the ride up to Kiama…Just a nice easy cruise along the highway! But little did we realise that we’d be treated to strong winds which turned into a nasty block headwind the moment we reached the highway. We were creeping, no joke. At some points we were probably going not much faster than walking pace! And it took us nearly over 1hr to do the last 20km of our ride…wow. Just thinking back on it I remembered just how horrible it was lol, the longest 95km of my life! But I was one of the lucky ones…I was fortunate enough to have a seat in the car with my name written all over it :D! I felt sorry for the guys who had another 80 or so ks to ride to get back to Canberra…apparently it was another very slow ride! But they all made it there albeit a little worse for wear! Once we had reached Goulburn we gorged ourselves on our much loved salad rolls which we had gown quite attached to over the last we days and we were changed, packed and ready to leave within a matter of minutes! I shot-gunned the front passenger’s seat because I rode in the middle of the back seat on the way up and my head was pressed against the window and I was fast asleep before we left the parking lot! I was pooped. But it was a good feeling, knowing that I had pushed my body that hard over the last few days! With any luck all my hard work will pay off for the Tour of Bright on the weekend!

All in all, I think that the camp was a fantastic experience and I definitely learnt a lot from being there! I pushed myself harder than thought possible and learnt new strategies to help improve my performance! And it all went down without a hitch thanks to the awesome work done by Glenn, Kris and Grant who took such good care of us throughout the entire camp!
Next on the agenda: Tour of Bright 6-7 Dec, wish me luck!

No comments: