Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Stage 2: the Individual Time Trial (ITT) 15.7km

Now, I’m not going to lie, I’m not the world’s biggest time trial fan! Maybe because I don’t do particularly well by myself in the wind and that I hardly ever get the chance to do them in training so the mere thought of having to do one scares me just a little…but at least this one was only relatively short at just over 15km. It was going to be a hard ride given that we had only just completed a RR several hours before, but everyone else was in the same boat! I don’t have a TT bike so it was just a case of putting some clip on bars on my bike and chucking on a skin suit and I was set. I was lucky that the break I was in put a fair chunk of time into the rest of the peloton so I had a slight advantage over them in the TT. I warmed up on the wind trainer listening to my ipod and going through the course in my head. It was a relatively flat course which didn’t necessarily suit me overly and more or less played right into the hands of the TTers such as Vicki and Bridie (who ended up finishing 1st and 2nd respectively ahead of Kathy Watt in 3rd) but I was going to give it a decent crack! I then headed over the start ramp and before I knew it I was off. We were off at 20sec intervals and I was chasing the morning’s 2nd place getter Shara Gillow. The problem I have with TTs is I find it hard to concentrate on one thing for an extended period of time and I think that ultimately cost me in my final result. Don’t get me wrong, I did go hard, very hard and my HR data will tell you that also, but your mental approach also plays a major role in TTs. Thinking back on it, I believe that next time I need to break the course down in sections and give myself specific goals to achieve and things to focus on in each particular section which will hopefully keep my mind busy and enable me to focus more on the job at hand. So although I was a little disappointed with the overall result, I placed 10th about 2min36 down, I was still sitting in 5th position on GC going into tomorrows stage: Mt Hotham Ascent.

for full results of the stage:

http://www3.your-sports.com/details/results.php?lang=en&page=6&eventid=1402&contest=7&name=Stage%202%7CStage2%20GC%20RESULT&CertificateLink=1&format=view

No comments: