Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hitting it up with the Men in 100 degrees

How am i feeling? Still boxed. Had a late night at the track, gettin back close to 12:00pm meaning it was barely 8hrs until we had to leave for our next race. Had a much needed chat to Brian...really needed to hear from people who look after me back home. Don't get me wrong, love all the training we are doing and all the racing but i've never done so much of it and training as well... its just all starting to take its toll

have to go to bed.. will continue this later lol.. prob best to sleep on it anyway before i continue my rant :P

Now that I’ve slept on it, I don’t really feel like going on a massive rant. I shouldn’t be allowed to.

Anyway, on today’s race schedule was a Cat 4 men’s road 61km road race out at Peiffer hill in Reamstown which is an Amish community. When we got there, there were stacks of Mennonite spectators all dressed up and we passed I passed by the local school during my warm up and the school’s motto was ‘The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom’…They have such different values and philosophies from us… its quite interesting actually.

Back to the race. As I was saying, I was racing Cat 4 men. There were only 6 women in the Cat 3/4 and they were only riding 31km… There were about 30 men signed up for Cat 4 so at least it should have been a better race. The first 5km of the course is all down hill, then it kicked up for about 100m round a bend, then downhill/flat for another 2km then was Peiffer Hill which was about 500m long (really took its toll after 6 laps of it though) and then some more downhill and a rise to the finish. Was a tough little course that’s for sure and it was disgustingly hot. On the start line, my SRM said it was 39 degrees…gross. The pace was pretty decent from the start and someone had a dig basically every time up Peiffer hill, including myself. The field pretty much stayed together until the last lap where some guy rolled off the front. The bunch just missed catching him (bout a bike length behind at the finish) and I got chopped in the sprint just as I was getting started and got pushed off the road. Managed to hop back on and get 5th. Reckon I could have run 3rd but Oh well, its just a Cat 4 club race lol. Picked up some prizes for 5th though, including some hammer gels, drink bottle, energy gu stuff (smells sickly sweet and tastes like callipos..) and a $20 gift card for a bike shop! Now I can go buy awesomely cool flavoured powerbars.. Yay :) I forgot to add that we also got given a goodie bag when we picked up our rego...haha it was full of hammer nutrition stuff including massive white capsules (they look like panadol capsules) which were meant to be good for 'rehydration' lol...will upload the photo and you can have a look for yourself! Thommo took some before the race and thought they were pretty good though! they just look tad suss...

On the way home, we stopped off via Maccas so the boys could get some food and Rick went to sleep whilst we were waiting for them in the car so I decided to play with the TomTom. Managed to find the settings and was playing around with them. It also has a variety of different sounds on it. Now the TomTom makes a ‘Moo’ sound every time you go over 40kph hahaha…you should have seen Rick the first time he herd it. It was when he was asleep and it scared the hell out of him. Hillarious. And when it went off for the first time… everyone went silent and was like ‘what the hell was that’… lol probably the funniest thing all day.

We didn’t get home t’ill around 4pm because we stayed and had a chat to all the race organisers and volunteers which was really nice. Everyone is so lovely over here! But I went straight for the couch and slept for a couple of hours.. Then we made lasagne and chilled for a bit in the living room on the couches some more then headed off to bed. Need all the sleep I can get for the state titles tomorrow! I woke up with a cold this morning.. was sounding pretty strange and feeling average…hopefully I’ll be alright for tomorrow.

Mickey and Audrey went to North Carolina to see family this morning so the house is pretty quiet lol.. but they’ll be back on tues.

Take care,
xo

No comments: